The First Nations Series for Young Readers is a collection of biographies dedicated to outlining the life stories of First Nations/Native American individuals who have made significant achievements in their community and beyond. Think about Activity #1 and reflect upon:
- Why do you think we invited you to take part in exercises that focused on your ideas of what makes a good community?
- Why is it important to make a personal connection with what you are learning?
- How does it help you understand and make sense of what you are learning?
- How does making personal connections help us become better readers?
- Might there be a connection between themes of the biographies in the First Nations Series for Young Readers and the community related activities in above?
- What do you already know about the achievements of Aboriginal peoples?
- Have you read or watched any other biographies about First Nations/Native American individuals?
- Why might it be important that we highlight these accomplishments in particular?